Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Race report

Here is my race report, as I know all of you are just DYING for the gory details (not!). And if I can figure out how to copy my race proofs (which make it look like I was pretty much standing still, red-faced and sweating profusely...partially right) then I will post them later...

The day was sort of a train wreck from the get-go. I left just a few moments later than I planned (Side note: It is vital that coffee, ahem, takes its effect before running a race. See, gory details!). I still should have had plenty of time to drive down there and get in position early had 11,000 other yahoos, plus several thousand spectators, had not been doing the exact same thing as me at the exact same time. Turds! I was stuck in traffic for 30 minutes. THIRTY minutes, people! Right before a race! Racing (for me anyway) is stressful enough and can take a lot of mental calming and centering. A mental Valium, if you will. Parking, running a half mile to the starting area in a panic and searching for my fellow 2 hour pacees in a sea of chaos does not a mental Valium make. It freaking SUCKED. I finally dashed through a break in the gates lining the starting area only to find myself with the 2:45 team. The 2:00 team was so far up I couldn't even see them. And at that moment the gun went off. Double turds! I told myself to calm down (maybe an actual Valium would've helped at this point, because my focus was nowhere to be found). I always struggle to rein myself in the first couple of miles, and have told myself a million times not to go too fast at the start. So, what did I do? Tried to catch up with my pace team, of course. Too fast. When I finally caught sight of them ahead at about mile 2.5, they were not pacing where they should have been anyhow - they were too fast, just like me. So I said forget it, this is my race and I don't need a pacer anyhow (well I didn’t SAY it, but I thought it in between rapid gulps of air). I dropped back a bit and tried to get my rhythm. I just never felt smooth and never did find my stride. In short, I was not having fun. The highlight of my day was seeing my Mom, who came to cheer me on near the Plaza (about halfway through). She had made a hot pink sign for me (that matched my outfit, no less!) and tried to get a picture, but I was afraid if I slowed down to chat I would've called it a day right then and there. I knew I was going to have to fight and claw my way for under 2 hours. I was already struggling and I wasn't even halfway home. So, I forged on with a brief but happy smile on my face. Love my mamacita - she's always my biggest cheerleader. : )
Miles 6 through 13 are a blur of hurt. As I told Brian when I got home, some days running is like flying (why do you think so many of us do it?), other days it’s like slogging through mud. Unfortunately this day I fought for every step I took. My mind willed me through to the finish. I missed my goal of 1:59 by 1 minute and 44 seconds. Disappointed? Somewhat. Proud of my accomplishment? You bet. Besides, missing my goal will just keep me going back for more! Although hopefully the next one will be a lot more fun. When I dragged myself home both physically and mentally exhausted, Hattie asked me if I had won the race. I responded with a simple, "Yes".

No comments: