Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Rainbows

When you have a child, you wish for them all the good qualities in you and your significant other. I wished for Hattie her daddy’s musical abilities, his mechanical and art skills, his nice hands and full lips, his patience and calm. I wished she would have my blue eyes and sense of color. Yes, sense of color. I can look at a tan and tell you if there is too much yellow or red in it for my liking. I can tell you I love colors washed with gray and could mix any color up with paint that you like. I mixed my own paints for the interior of our house so they would match the carpet. I know it is early yet, but Hattie may have just gotten my sense of color. She can pick an orange, pink or red out of a group of objects. She knows a blue or green from a purple. I am so proud! She cannot say the words yet, but can see her own rainbow of colors. It’s the newest trick in her ever-expanding repertoire. I can’t tell you how excited I am to color, draw pictures and paint with her. I envision buying canvases for her to paint and hanging them about our house. I envision many blue ribbons in the art fair at school. I envision someone who can put on paper exactly what she visualizes in her head. Am I getting ahead of myself here? Or should I say getting ahead of her? We will stick to the primary palette for now, but soon we’ll be mastering periwinkle, aubergine, puce and citrine. And I can't wait.
I must also follow up on my facial experience. Not what I expected at all. I was hoping to be scoured, scrubbed and irrigated. What I got was an hour long face massage. Relaxing, I suppose, but rejuvenating to my skin? Not so much. About halfway into it I thought, is this it? She's barely scrubbed! Where’s the exfoliation? Where’s the sandblasting? And then I switched to, is she almost done rubbing the damn cream into my face? How long have I been lying here? How greasy am I going to be after this? The hot towels between “treatments” (I use that term loosely) felt fabulous. And I was relaxed. However, I am pretty much always relaxed. I don’t need tribal muzak and face rubbing to calm me down. I wanted results, damn it. Instead I got creamed. If I would’ve been at a trendy salon and paid $50-100 for that, I would’ve been displeased as hell. Maybe my vision of a facial is just wrong, but if I want to relax give me a regular massage any day of the week. Do they do those for 72 quarters?

1 comment:

gbadrich said...

keep in mind she is in school and maybe they don't use a great product line.... At Sopra, you get a good scrub and a glycolic peel (kinda burns, but in a good way)to help with the yucky, dead skin.