Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dog-paddling is legal, right?

I had my first swimming lesson last night. I give it mixed reviews. There are four of us in the class – one fabulous triathlon swimmer, one young man joining the Navy, one teenager who will teach swim classes at a girls’ camp this summer, and me. All of us got one lane in the lap pool. ONE lane. That surprised me, but whatever. We all did nothing but freestyle last night, which is good since that is what I need the most help on. My breathing SUCKS. Or should I say doesn’t suck enough? And I seemed to get worse as the night progressed. But, I hope to get it worked out. There’s nothing that says I can’t side stroke the whole race. The triathlete dude swam about double what the rest of us did (My 20 year-old instructor kept saying…why is he here? I can’t show him anything!). She suggested getting in the pool to practice at least one more day a week, so if any of you have an Olympic-size lap pool in your basement let me know. My bike is in the shop getting a tune-up, so hopefully I will be ready for this race by June 6th! If my swimming doesn’t improve maybe that triathlon dude can tow me through Shawnee Mission Lake…

By the way – 19 more days until the half-marathon! Eek!

No comments: