Monday, June 14, 2010

Fast Approaching

Sunday is D-day. While I am always up for a challenge, I have a feeling this race is going to be pretty comical. As I’m sure everyone reading this knows, triathlons are races consisting of 3 sports: swimming, biking and running (almost always in that order). The one I am attempting is a sprint distance (very short!)-- it is a 500 meter swim, 9 mile bike and 2.5 mile run. Done separately; piece of cake. Combined? Let the laughs begin! I have not truly attempted a brick workout (training on 2 of the 3 disciplines together). I am still uncertain what I am wearing. I do not yet have road tires for my huge, heavy mountain bike I will be riding. I have not tried my zip laces on my running shoes, nor ever worn a swim cap. I have also not practiced my transitions.
Obviously, going from swimming to biking and biking to running requires some ‘costume changes’, if you will – aka transitions. Everyone gets a small transition area next to their bike for changing shoes and clothes, and storing helmets, glasses, race numbers, goggles, water bottles, etc. For most it’s a science. For me it’s a last minute checklist of varied objects thrown on the ground and me desperately hoping I’m not forgetting something (like clothes or my bike). As I said, it should be pretty funny. The best racers can be in and out of transition in a minute or two (that includes running barefoot from the lake to the bikes and then from the bike dismount area to the racks). I’m shooting for 5-10. And remembering at least half of what I should be doing. Yikes. C’mon, not last place!!!

No comments: