Monday, October 15, 2007

Wilco

We attended the Wilco show on Saturday night at the Crossroads. The weather participated and we got no rain. It was my first visit to the venue, and while it was cool being outdoors downtown with the KC skyline all around, I think that will be my last show there. I am too (choose: spoiled/old/lazy) to stand in the middle of a field to watch live music. I guess I've done it too many times before. The show was great though; Jeff Tweedy is a great frontman. He is funny and can lead the band and audience with grace through their varied songs. Their music is so diverse, moving effortlessly from quiet acoustic ditties to loud, dissonant jams. They are one of the most interesting bands out there. And (guitarist) Nels Cline is so unique. He shakes, vibrates and contorts through his solos and Brian and I laugh when we come up with professions we’re glad he didn’t try…brain surgeon, moyle, tailor. Just watching him butter toast would be something to witness. Hattie stayed at Grammy and Grandpa’s house with all of the grandkids during the show. From the report we got, she did great, crawling many laps around the basement and observing all the action. It is so nice to be able to drop her off knowing she is in good hands (obviously!) and that she knows she’s in good hands. She was not so happy when we left her with her cousin a few weeks ago. Again, we were confidant she was in capable hands, but Hattie did not know her cousin's face as a familiar one, hence freaked out for a long while upon our departure. As Brian said, it is getting harder to leave her knowing that she may want us. When she was smaller, anyone would do. But now, at least for little while, Mom and Dad are the coolest people around. And I’ll take that while I can.

No comments: