Thursday, March 27, 2008

Miss Skinny

Okay, so I started a diet this week. No wait, excuse me, I started a new ‘way of life’…diet is a taboo word these days. People who diet do not stay on them – people who change the way they think about food are successful. Do I sound like a commercial?
Let me begin by saying that I rarely diet. I think I’ve dieted (I know – again with the bad word) for maybe a month out of my whole life. Sure, I’ve needed it since Pizza Shuttle and beer found me in college, but I never did a whole lot about it. I’ve had years of gym memberships and lost some and toned doing that; but this time… actually for the first time, I feel really serious about it. My goal in my new ‘way of life’ is 20 pounds, which would put me back at high school weight, but for now I am shooting for 10. This first week has gone well. I borrowed a friend’s Weight Watcher’s book and am doing that for now. I have two bad habits (that I’ll mention)…one is that I don’t think about what I am eating most of the time, and the other is that my portion sizes are totally skewed. I think most of America’s are. If you’ve been to any chain restaurant in the last 10 years, you know. So, this book is giving me an idea of what I should be eating on a normal day. I am writing down what I eat (which helps with the mindless aspect I mentioned) and calculating where I am. I also began Jillian Michael’s Shred workouts. She’s the b*tchy lady from Biggest Loser. I don’t watch the show, but man, her workout is tough! You burn 300-500 calories in twenty minutes. Exactly what I need, since that is about all the free time I have in the afternoons.
So there you have it. A new me is hopefully emerging. I don’t want to turn this into a weight-loss blog, but I plan on letting you all know how much I am losing and how good I am feeling! Wish me luck. Oh, and the Levi’s that have been sitting in my closet patiently waiting for 10 years? Look out, cause here I come.

No comments: