Saturday, October 4, 2008

Sidelined

I think my half marathon race may be out. CR*P!!!! Three weeks ago (right when I upped my hill training and speed)I developed Iliotibial Band Syndrome aka "Runner's Knee". Basically anywhere from 4-6 miles into my runs my left knee starts to tighten and lock up on me. Its very common in distance runners and probably started due to quitting my cross training/strengthening days in favor of all running (weak hip flexors and glutes are an underlining cause). I've missed my last 4 big mileage weekend runs. I've been trying to strengthen, stretch my IT band, ice whenever possible, eat ibuprofen and wear a strap on my knee when running. So far, I've seen no positive changes. I am soooooooooooooo utterly disappointed - my training was going really well and I was hoping to finish in under 2 hours (initially I was looking at 2 1/2). I've already paid my entrance fee, so I am going to go and run as long as I can and probably walk a few (or several) miles at the end. Totally sucks. There is another race (the last one of the season) the week before Thanksgiving. Hopefully I can get back on track and run that one before winter comes and I have to wait until next year. I've worked too damn hard not to have at least ONE good race this year! Stupid competitive nature...
Keep your fingers crossed, and if you have any magic solutions let me know.
Sigh.

1 comment:

Jeff Mantel said...

I am so sorry to hear this news, Ame. I wish I could do something to help. Keep your chin up.
Love ya
Ba