Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Small Things

Working 40 hours a week, chasing a toddler, cooking dinners, giving baths, doing the shopping, running errands and exercising as often as possible can quickly fill a week. There are some days even if I haven’t spent tons of time with Hattie, I still selfishly can’t wait until her bedtime to enjoy some “me” time. But it happens. Time can just slip away so quickly, and I have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy what I’m doing. Raising a child takes open eyes, a warm heart, a playful attitude and loads of patience. You can’t let yourself do it half-heartedly. I must remind myself that there is nothing like Hattie’s soft voice when she wakes from her nap or is lying down to sleep. There is nothing like the way she laughs when tickled or when she tries to tickle back. There is nothing like the way she snuggles so closely when watching her tv show. Or how she holds her blanket to her nose when sleepy. Her questions although many can be so sweet and give so much insight into what is rolling through that brain. Yesterday while we watched the rain fall out the window, she asked if we could take her beach towel outside. When I asked the reason, she replied simply, “to dry everything off”.
Lately we’ve been having some bath time issues. She was very resistant and would cry and throw a fit the last week or so before and during her bath. Asking why gave no insights or clues. Brian and my first instinct was to tell her we could just hop in really quick and get out and play some more. That wasn’t working. So, the other day I mentioned going in and playing with some new toys and she said yes with no tears. We took a nice long bath and played in the water. Now when asked if she wants to take a bath, she says” yes, go slow”. Sometimes it really is about slowing down and enjoying the ride.

No comments: