Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Better Late Than Never

My Dad has always been very much involved in my life. He’s been there for me in many ways, but mostly he has been a great teacher. He has knowledge of so many subjects and is a patient coach. When I was young he showed me how to develop pictures in our basement darkroom. He showed me how to swing a golf club (which I really wish I did more like him). He taught me to fish. He taught me how to play basketball and coached my team every year in grade school. He also helped my mom coach volleyball. He taught me to be competitive while still enjoying myself and to take wins as well as losses in stride. I always enjoyed learning things during the projects he had going around the house, whether it be painting, carpentry, plumbing, electrical or yard work. His work ethic is something to behold. Even though he’s retired, the man does not sit down. He ALWAYS has a project going at home or for someone else (he spent hundreds of hours helping Brian and me get our house updated and remodeled). He plays golf several times a week. He helps my great uncle who does not get around well maintain his lake home. He babysits his 5 grandkids lots. He attends sporting events, recitals and school plays. He spends time with his brothers and sisters.
He has taught me that life was not meant to be spent sitting down. It is about doing, going, experiencing, helping, and enjoying every single second. I love you Dad, for all that you’ve done and all that you continue to do. Happy Father’s Day.

1 comment:

Jeff Mantel said...

Every single day I thank God for all that I have been given. All of that started with the family I was born into. We could not find better parents. This was a great piece Ame, thanks for writing it.
Happy Father's Day Dad!
Ba