Saturday, July 14, 2007

They work!

Just got back from my next day follow up from surgery. I am 20/15 with both eyes (yes folks, that is better than perfect!). Who would've thought I could claim 'better than perfect' on anything in my life??? Amazing. When I woke this morning and looked out at the fence in our backyard I noted how detailed it looked - better than it did with my glasses on. I was right - I can practically see through walls today. Alright not really, but I am soooo elated. Everything seems brighter, crisper and more beautiful. I have a fresh start with my new eyes. It is absolutely spectacular.
The surgery went off without a hitch. I must say it is a strange, freaky, surreal ordeal. I am not a squeamish person and actually like going to the doctor because I find it endlessly fascinating. My inner science geek comes out. But I could've
done without the procedure yesterday. Yes it was pretty painless and quick, but the whole thing was totally nerve-wracking. I'll detail the whole thing below for those interested....
Upon arrival, you receive a Valium. I am not sure if that was to take the edge off of the anticipation of the surgery or the monster check you have to write them. But at this point I was excited and not really nervous. They then gave me some numbing drops and marked the center of my eye. Not my eye; my eyeBALL. With a marker! That was the first crazy thing. I was then taken into the surgical suite and laid down flat on my back. One eye was taped shut. The other had the clockwork orange clamp put on it and a suction cup pressed onto my eyeball. The room went black. It sort of pushes down and creates a lot of pressure, not on your eyeball, but on your socket. An Intralase laser puts 'bubbles' in a circle around your eye. I picture it like a perforation. This is how they know exactly where to cut the flap (Intralase is new technology - much more accurate). They repeated that on the other eye. Next they slid me over to the laser to make the flap - it is quick. The doc then takes these tiny needle-looking things and pulls back the flap and everything goes blurry. I wondered just how freaky I must've looked at that point with clamps on and the front of my eyeball hanging down. Ew.
Next, you go under one more laser. You concentrate on looking into a light until your pupils dilate enough and the laser comes on and vaporizes part your cornea. This was the most nerve-wracking part....What if I freak out and look away from the light? What if it burns down too much of my eye? Am I still looking in the right direction (the light was disappearing for me). It only lasts a few seconds (thank God) and that's it. (BTW- the laser somehow anticipates your eye movements and follows suit.) The doc 'flaps' you back down and uses a tiny squeegee-looking thing to smooth the flap into place. They give you another Valium and you are on your way. I napped for a couple hours and with every passing hour my vision became clearer and my eyes less sensitive.
Today, still less than 24 hours afterwards, I can see better than before. I have a little 'grittiness' and fogginess in my eyes and that's it. It is an absolutely mind-blowing technology and I am so thankful to have been able to do it.
Totally worth not taking a big trip this year. I am free.
My doctor told me that the Intralase laser is the one used on the Top Gun pilots, so I am calling them today to see when I get to fly my jet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are sooooooo happy for you. Now you can see that beautiful baby girl even better.
Love you!
YSM