Thursday, May 24, 2007

I-Dull

Last night was the season finale of American Idol. Yes, Brian and I both watch it (I am not taking all the blame, ahem, I mean credit). I got him hooked the first season and we’ve been wasting our time on it ever since. Yes, it is a show for fourteen year olds. Yes, the music sucks and we have never bought an album. No, we have not once voted. However, we do discuss contestants like we are producing them ourselves. For instance, this year the top 3 went home in the correct order. Melinda was by far the best singer, but she is older and would be better suited to have a career not run by some cheesy Idol producer. She could do Broadway or make an album geared told an older non-Idolesque crowd. She has gained attention and respect and I am sure doors are opening wide for her. Blake will also do fine without being number one. He can write his own stuff and already has his own sound. As crappy as that sound may be. Jordin is only 17 and does not have a style of her own. She sings country well, she sings pop well, and she sang that horrid first single well. She is a moldable little lump of clay for the producers to do with what they wish. I could not imagine being a junior in high school and having this title bestowed upon me. Of course, I guess that’s why she tried out. She seems a sweet girl and I hope she enjoys the ride. It will be a crazy one.
I have one additional note for the producers of the show (as I am certain they read this blog). Can we please not give awards to the pitiable, mentally-challenged people who tryout each year? These poor kids are being made fun of in front of an entire nation and do not realize it. It makes me sad. Next year let’s focus on good singers who get to move on to Hollywood. I don’t need to see people disgracing themselves in front of America. George Bush already owns that pony.

1 comment:

Jeff Mantel said...

I have to vehemently disagree with your American Idol critique of the losers. I rarely watch TV and never watch American Idol. Unless, of course, somebody in my house stumbles across a tone-deaf singer on national TV trying out for a singing contest. That is AI's lone redeeming quality. I think they should get bonus points for when they try to dance and also lose their breath while "singing." Double bonus points if they throw a fit after getting the boot.