Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Hands off the baby

I know that Hattie is incredibly squishable and one of the most beautiful babies ever and everything,(and no, I am not biased) but why, oh why do random people feel the need to touch her? Here’s a tip. If you don’t know the parents or the baby…hands off! I do not want your germs. Lord knows what you’ve got or where’ve you been. Yesterday at the craft store a woman decided to tickle Hattie’s toes (she was sockless, as it was a lovely 83 degrees). I cringed a little and tried to grin and bear it, all the while thinking, “She puts those toes in her mouth you weirdo! Get your random who-knows-the-last-time-they've-been-washed hands off her!” She went to grab her hand (which is the worst in my opinion as they have a semi-permanent place in her mouth) when I politely scooted off mentioning that yes indeed, she had ticklish toes. Is this a total overreaction? Yes. I realize that soon she will be picking nasty things up off the ground and inserting them all into her mouth, and I need to get used to it, but this really irritates me. A couple of weeks ago at church, Hattie and I stepped out into the foyer when she had decided to chat loudly with Fred (her travel companion and best friend) during the meditation prayer. As soon as I walked out, an usher from the church came up hands everywhere and asked if she could hold her. Um, sure? She proceeded to walk up and down the hall. Okay, you work at a church so I assume your heart is good, but please do not walk more than 3 feet from a new mom holding her most precious cargo. Better yet, go find a kid you know and hold them. I lasted less than 5 minutes until I told her she was fine now and we better head back in. So strange. I know I am a new parent and want to protect Hattie with everything I've got and I have to learn to let that go, but damn its hard! Soon there will be times on the playground when I will feel the need to remind her to ‘be careful’ or ‘watch what you’re doing’ only for it all to fall on deaf ears. I know this, but can’t I hang on just a little while?

No comments: