Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Queen of Tomatoes

We had an influx of home-grown tomatoes filling our kitchen over the weekend. I think we had close to 20. While I love them with just salt & pepper, I don’t think my mouth could’ve handled quite that much acidity. So yesterday I turned domestic goddess and made big batches of pico de gallo, gazpacho, and fresh tomato and zucchini sauce. I was up to my armpits in tomato, but it was well worth it. Summer would not be summer without tomatoes. Or the farmer’s market. And this year the farmer’s market is carrying fun colors of vegetables. I have found that I LOVE orange tomatoes (very low acidity) and bright yellow zucchini (very sweet & mild). Even though the crowds are huge, I love bringing my own canvas bag and pretending I am a European woman picking out that day’s meals. Of course hopping into my car to drive 3 miles home destroys that dream. But I am an American. Where’d I park my Hummer anyway?

No comments: